Some weeks can seem super long- with working a full-time job, taking full-time classes, studying, podcasting, and being social. And not that winter is in full throttle, I find joy in canceling my weekend plans with hopes to stay indoors where it’s warm. Over the weekend, I worked on one of my favorite recipes this year- White Bean Chicken Chili. I can be a very repetitive person when I’ve found something that works for me and for weeks straight I chose to eat Chicken Chili. Let’s just say I was determined on learning how to make it at home. This soup is perfect for cold weeknights, a meal to enjoy all weekend long, or to bring to a family potluck- since it is the holiday season.
You have two options for cooking your chicken that will be used in the recipe. For this recipe, I seasoned the boneless, skinless chicken breasts with salt and pepper and for 25 minutes on 375 degrees. Once the chicken is cooked, I set to cool for five minutes and use two large forks to shred the chicken. I use this recipe when making pulled chicken sandwiches or chicken for taco night. You can also use a hand mixer and large bowl to shred chicken, I do this when cooking for a crowd.
The other option to make the shredded chicken is to assemble all of the ingredients into the crockpot besides the chicken, add seasonings, add uncooked chicken on top, season chicken, and cook on either heat option. Once soup and chicken has cooked, remove the chicken from op top onto a different plate or bowl and shred using a hand mixer or two forks and elbow grease.
White Bean Chicken Chili
- 2 - 3 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts cooked and shredded
- 30 ounces White Northern Beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces Pinto Beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces Whole Kernel Corn rinsed and drained
- 9-10 ounces Chopped Green Chiles canned
- 30 ounces Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 4 tbsp Cumin
- 3 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Paprika preferably smoked
- 15 ounces Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup Chicken Broth can be substituted
- 1/2 Yellow Onion chopped
- 1 Yellow Pepper chopped
- 1 Red Pepper chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 bunch Cilantro chopped
- 2 cups Mexican Cheese shredded
- Saute peppers and onion in olive oil until all veggies are translucent or semi- fork tender. Place in crockpot with as little oil as possible. Do this while your boneless, skinless chicken breast is baking unless using the second option given above.
- Add all ingredients into the crockpot, dutch oven, or large pot. Add shredded chicken if using my preferred method or leave out the chicken to season and insert it at the end.
- Cook in crockpot on high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours. IF cooking in a dutch oven or pot, cook on medium-high for 40 minutes. Be sure to stir all ingredients once cooked. If the recipe is missing something, add a little cumin. It seemed to do the job for me!
- Once the soup is cooked, garnish with shredded cheese and cilantro and serve with cornbread or fried tortilla or wonton strips.