Anyone who truly knows me will know that chicken wings are the key to my heart! I wanted to share my favorite recipe for crispy, yet healthy chicken wings.
Disclaimer: if you have some unwanted opinion that these wings aren’t that healthy, don’t ruin my fantasy- LOL.
I’m a millennial, we aren’t too fond of that.
If you’re wondering what makes this recipe my favorite for wings rather than the OG fried version is because of the lack of fat from frying and let’s just be honest, frying chicken to the perfect texture and crispiness is hard for some. Two of my top culinary tricks are fully ensuring that any moisture on the chicken parts has evaporated by pat drying and using baking powder (you’ll have to believe me here) Ensuring that the chicken is dry allows any moisture to evaporate and will prevent the chicken from crisping up and losing flavor. The baking powder is the hot girl of the recipe it draws out all extra moisture in the surface of the chicken parts’ skin. This will create the crunch we all love when biting into fresh, hot fried chicken.
I hope you enjoy!
Three Ingredient Buffalo Wing Sauce:
1 cup of butter, unsalted
2 tsp of granulated garlic
1 1/2 cups of hot sauce
Melt Butter in a medium pan over medium-low heat until melted.
Whisk in garlic and hot sauce until the sauce is cohesive. Toss wings and serve!
Oven Fried Chicken Wings
- 5 lbs Chicken wings
- 1 1/2 tbs Baking Powder please don't buy baking soda
- 1/2 tbp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and place the oven rack on the lowest rack. We don't want to burn these puppies.
- Use a towel to pat dry chicken. You should ensure that the chicken is completely thawed before this process or you'll waste time and energy in the end. Throw the paper away, we don't want to spread Salmonella!
- Line a baking sheet with parchment (not waxed) paper to line the sheet. This will prevent chicken from sticking to sheet. If needed, spray lined baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, toss chicken wings in salt, pepper, and baking powder. Make sure all of the wings have been dusted in the dry mixture. Clumps are not the goal.
- Place the chicken wings on the lined baking sheet. Spacing is not something to worry about however, please don't place chicken on top of each other.
- Bake chicken wings for 30 minutes to render the fat from the chicken (this will help to make the crisp we all love) Be sure to use the lower middle rack in over if possible.
- Move wings up to the upper middle rack and increase the oven's temperature to 425 degrees and cook for 40 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven once they have finished cooking and let them stand for five minutes- just enough so we won't burn your fingertips.
- Toss wings in your favorite sauce (there's a buffalo wing sauce above!) and #EatUp! Don't forget to tag me in your pictures!