Breakfast sandwiches are always a joy and can be customized according to what’s leftover in the fridge or whatever your heart and stomach desire. I prefer a biscuit sandwich any day of the week- that’s why my recipe for a juicy, fried chicken breast between a buttermilk biscuit with honey butter will transform your breakfast menu. The chicken breast marinated in buttermilk and fried to perfection is definitely the star of the show. There’s also a bonus recipe for a honey butter spread that adds the perfect amount of sweetness to the sandwich- sort of like maple syrup when we were children.
I start off with my standard buttermilk biscuit recipe. It’s important to make sure that your butter and buttermilk are ice cold and the flour has been sifted with the remaining ingredients. When the biscuits are finished, slice them in half, add the fried chicken breast and honey butter- then you’re ready to indulge!
You can find my buttermilk biscuit recipe here.
If you don’t use homemade biscuits, I’m a big fan of the Pillsbury Frozen Grands that are sold in the frozen foods aisle.
Honey Butter Recipe:
½ cup of butter (softened or room temperature)
3 tbsp of Honey or Agave Nectar
½ tsp of Kosher or Pink Himalayan Salt
Fried Chicken Biscuit Sandwich
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp salt and pepper
- Canola Oil enough to fry chicken breast in shallow oil
- Cut the chicken breasts in half to create pieces sized perfectly for your biscuits. Don’t worry if the cut is not perfect. The flour coating will cover that! Perfect is overrated anyway
- In a bowl whisk together flour with all spices. In another bowl whisk together, add the buttermilk.
- Place chicken pieces in the buttermilk mixture. Place in the fridge for up to an hour to marinate. After marinating, remove chicken pieces and shake off excess buttermilk
- Dredge chicken pieces in seasoned flour mixture. Place chicken back in buttermilk, shaking off excess. Then, the chicken goes in the flour mixture again.
- Carefully place chicken in hot oil and cook until golden brown on one side.
- Again, carefully, flip chicken and fry the other side. Drain on a paper towel when finished. The internal temperature should be 165 F.
- Time to assemble: Slice your biscuit in half and spread the honey butter on both inner sides of the biscuit. Add your chicken breast and you're ready to enjoy. Don't forget to tag me in your pictures at @elle.thefoodie!